SCREENING PREPARATION PROTOCOL
PRIOR TO THERMOGRAM
5 DAYS PRIOR to your THERMOGRAM:
- Do not sun bathe or use a tanning salon.
24 HOURS PRIOR to your THERMOGRAM:
- Do not have physical therapy, EMS, TENS, CT, ultrasound treatment, acupuncture, chiropractic, physical stimulation, hot or cold pack use
- Do not have a massage.
THE DAY of your THERMOGRAM:
- Do not use any lotions, creams, powders, makeup, deodorants or antiperspirants
- Avoid medications for pain.
- Avoid anything that may cause flushing or blood vessel constriction (i.e. alpha-blockers, niacin).
AT LEAST 6 HOURS PRIOR to your THERMOGRAM:
- Do not shave any area (underarms, face, legs, etc.)
- Do not exercise.
- Do not bathe or shower.
AT LEAST 2 HOURS PRIOR to your THERMOGRAM:
- Do not smoke, chew gum, eat or drink anything.
- Do not use any caffeinated foods or drinks. A small amount of room temperature water is acceptable.
- For menstruating women; SCHEDULE your THERMOGRAM to be done the WEEK BEFORE MENSES if possible.
- If you are nursing, try to nurse as at least an hour prior to your thermogram.
- IF YOU USE FEMALE HORMONES, it is best to have the thermogram done during the time of the month you use the hormones.
- Please wear loose fitting clothes to the office. Any place that clothing touches you influences the thermograph image.
- Wear small undergarments such as bikini /thong style for women (if anything) on the day of the exam.
- Remove all jewelry (watches; bracelets; earrings and other piercings; necklaces; rings) before entering the office.
- Expect to disrobe completely to allow your skin temperature to cool to room temperature.
- Your hair will need to be tied up as well above your shoulders during the exam and cooling down period.
- Remove eyeglasses 15 minutes before exam.